Don’t forget Valentine’s Day people. Those conversation hearts aren’t going eat themselves. Want a great date movie? I suggest, Sanctum.
But really, the more important thing this weekend, aside from getting the jump on Valentine’s Day is figuring out what to do with yourself the week after the Super Bowl. Think about how much time you devote to football on the weekends during the season. Now think about filling that gap. You can only sleep so much. You aren’t a cat. Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot of pop to the sports calendar this time of year. Some thoughts…
1. Tiger is playing decent golf in Dubai. The problem is, it’s Dubai, and you can only see this on tape delay or in the middle of the night. After a slow start, Tiger shot 66 in the 2nd round to better the 2-day total of both Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer. What does this mean? Not a whole lot. In the grand scheme of things we know Tiger still isn’t right and we know that Westwood or Kaymer’s career will never sniff his. The interesting subplot would be if Tiger can get himself into the final pairing with Rory McIlroy. McIlroy has spoke openly about Tiger lacking intimidation and about not being familiar with “that Tiger.” I’d love to see what happens if Rory gets an up close look in the final round. Also, a Sergio Garcia sighting.
2. You know how you know that hockey isn’t that big of a deal? No one cares about the travels and travails of Peter Forsberg. This guy makes Brett Favre look decisive. And, I know it’s not really the same thing, but Forsberg was done, he was back, he was in Sweden, he was done again, now he’s back with the Avs. Starting to get a little annoying.
3. Todd MacCullough now plays pinball competitively. I think that speaks for itself.
4. Villanova vs. Pittsburgh on Saturday. Classic Big East tussle. Pitt has scratched its way to the definitive top spot in the conference. Villanova could use this win. Come seeding time, if you want to make a run, it helps to be a #3 or higher. My gut says this is too much basketball team for ‘Nova to handle, but if they make their 3s, who knows?
5. Read a Mickey Mantle biography called “The Last Boy,” by Jane Leavy. Pretty heartbreaking piece of writing. The depths of Mantle’s flaws and troubles are hard to comprehend. Despite the cringe worthy stories about him, what still shines through is the stature Mantle reached, especially among his peers. There was, perhaps, no finer teammate in the game’s history. Recalling being ask to participate in a Mantle roast, one teammate offered, “You want me to make fun of Mickey Mantle?” History will never allow us another Mantle, the lessons of his life and time are fascinating.
6. Joba Chamberlain showed up to camp overweight? My question is, how can you tell? Oh, it’s never to early to start stirring the pot.
The Quiz of the Day: “Name that City by Famous Landmark.” Category: Geography. My Score 20/25
*I’ll be losing this one to some people I’m sure, but I think I did all right for someone that’s only been to two countries in his entire life.
Enjoy the weekend everyone…