The Phillies are more popular than they’ve ever been. There are a number of numerical ways to prove this. Their TV ratings are higher than they’ve ever been. Their revenue is at an all-time high. Look at attendance. In 1980, a team that had won 3 division titles in 4 years and was on its way to the World Series barely filled more than half the Vet every night, drawing about 32,000 fans on average. The Phils do about 40% better than that now, selling out every single home game. You can even go to the streets and see a sea of people walking around in Phillies gear. It’s great to have all this attention, but with such a jump in interest, it’s inevitable that a decent percentage of these people are bandwagon. This isn’t a crusade against bandwagon fans, just accepting the facts for what they are. I decided to put together a little test so that you can check to see if you are a bandwagon Phillies fan.
Section One: Penalty Points.
Subtract One Point For Each of the Following:
1. You own a shirt or hoodie with “ILL” on it.
2. You have a driver’s license, but never went to the Vet for a Phillies game.
3. You think the Vet is where you take your sick dog.
4. You save your rally towels.
5. You like the Sunday afternoon jersey.
6. All of your Phillies gear is pink.
7. You wait in the crab fries line.
8. You only know one way home from the stadium.
Section Two: Multiple Choice.
One Point for each correct answer.
1. Dan Baker is:
a. Phillies PA announcer
b. The Original Philly Phanatic
c. Nick Leyva’s pitching coach
d. Nick who?
2. Mike Schmidt hit his 500th home run against:
a. Atlanta Braves
b. Chicago Cubs
c. Pittsburgh Pirates
d. New York Mets
3. Von Hayes was traded to the Phillies from what American League Team:
a. Cleveland Indians
b. Detroit Tigers
c. Texas Rangers
d. Milwaukee Brewers
4. On June 11th, 1985 the Phillies beat what team 26-7:
a. Chicago Cubs
b. St. Louis Cardinals
c. Atlanta Braves
d. New York Mets
5. The seats in the 700-Level before the whole stadium went blue were what color:
6. John Russell, Steve Lake, and Bo Diaz all played which position:
a. 1st Base
b. 3rd Base
7. Before moving to Bright House Field, the Phillies played Spring Training games at:
a. Jack Russell Stadium
b. Pinellas County Stadium
c. Memorial Stadium
d. Connie Mack Stadium
8. Which player led the 1980 Phillies in stolen bases:
a. Larry Bowa
b. Bob Dernier
c. Mike Schmidt
d. Lonnie Smith
9. The Phillies traded what member of the 1993 NL Champs for Bobby Abreu:
a. Dave Hollins
b. Curt Schilling
c. Kevin Stocker
d. Wes Chamberlain
10. Which pitcher did not start an Opening Day in the 1980s
a. Bruce Ruffin
b. Floyd Youmans
c. Steve Carlton
d. Shane Rawley
11. The Phillies bench coach in 1980 was:
a. Pat Corrales
b. Mike Ryan
c. Paul Owens
d. Bobby Wine
12. Richie Asburn wore what number:
13. Which of the following was not a Phillies 1st Round Draft Pick:
a. Jeff Jackson
b. Gavin Floyd
c. Jimmy Rollins
d. Tyler Green
14. In his classic skit, the Phanatic crushes the opposition’s helmet with:
a. A Tamper
b. His 4-wheeler
c. His Foot
d. A bat
15. Which Pitcher had the Phillies’ first no-hitter at Veterans Stadium
a. Steve Carlton
b. Tommy Greene
c. Terry Mulholland
d. Kevin Millwood
Answers in the Comments.
>2 points: Stone Bandwagon. You watch the games from McFadden’s
3-5 points: Bandwagon, but you pick stuff up on Sports Talk.
6-9 points: You can blend, but may have a CHOOOOOCH shirt
10-14 points: Congratulations, you are not a fraud
15 points: You may be related to a Phillie